Episode 12: Geek Interview: Cosplay, Conventions, Community, and Gender with Anna
Cosplay, or costume play, is more than just dressing up as your favourite character for Halloween. The dedication cosplay artists put into their costume goes above and beyond anything you could imagine to get every details of their character’s costume right. From sewing custom outfits to melting bits of foam together to create those extra large fantasy swords, there’s no better way to describe it than dedication, passion, and talent. Today’s guest, Anna, has been cosplaying for over a decade and has some pretty impressive titles under her belt!
Anna as the German Representative at Eurocosplay 2012, won World Cosplay Summit 2014, and the European Cosplay Gathering 2017. Her passion lies in Japanese culture and she is most often bringing characters to life from the Final Fantasy franchise.
In today’s episode, you’ll find out:
- How Anna got into cosplay and what it’s meant to her life
- What it’s like attending a worldwide cosplay convention hosted in Japan
- What the ups and downs of the cosplay community are
- How cosplay has no problems and all the problems at the same time
- Why cosplay celebrates body positivity
- How gender is approached and celebrated through cosplay
Find Anna on her website | Twitter | Instagram
If you’ve enjoyed this episode, please check out some of our others! And don’t forget to leave an iTunes review and check us out on social media: @geekherring on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter! You can also find us on our website and over on Patreon!
Monika & Amanda