Episode 3: Geek Girl Stereotypes: How the World Sees Us
How many times have YOU, fellow geek girls, been accused of not playing games?! Or maybe you’ve checked out the #geekgirl hashtag on Instagram and been a bit… dismayed.
Let’s investigate these stereotypes and see how we, as geek girls and female identifying geeks, can start to change the stigma.
In this episode of Geek Herring, you’ll find out:
- What the reality of being a geek girl in a male dominated culture really is
- How stereotypes, especially negative ones, affect our identity
- Where the phrase “geek girl” came from and how it’s adapted through the years
- How the Gamer Girl rose to dominate the geek girl persona
- What geek girls look like from the outside and how they actually are
- How geek girls are represented in pop culture
- How geek girls fit into the geek world at large
Resources and Links:
If you’ve enjoyed this episode, please check out some of our others! And don’t forget to leave an iTunes review and check us out on social media: @geekherring on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter! You can also find us on our website and over on Patreon!
Monika & Amanda