Episode 161: Geek Discussion: Morals in Entertainment: When do you walk away?
How do you handle your morals regarding the entertainment you consume? This world is a wild place, full of dodgy people doing questionable things. So how do you navigate that?
Some moral decisions are easier to make than others. H*rry P*tter and the TERF Queen? Yeah, walk away. Old Navy and their fatphobia or makeup brands and animal testing – these things maybe don’t matter as much to you. Sexual harassment at game studios? Questionable. Fast fashion? Definitely a moral quandary that we can’t fit into this episode!
This is a big episode. There’s a lot to discuss when it comes to this topic and we’ve really only scratched the surface. Some of our big points:
- you don’t have to do it all
- choose your morals whenever it feels right
- put your money into causes or companies you support/who are doing good instead of corporations doing things against your morals
- there is no such thing as a moral billionaire
- don’t let yourself get burnt out! take care of your emotional wellbeing in this wild climate
- Geek Discussion: Our Break-Up with the Wizarding World
- Geek Discussion: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Cast Them
- Geek Girl Reviews Surviving R. Kelly: What a Piece of Sh*t
Amanda & Monika